Cantonese Sweet and Sour Pork
- 1/2 lb pork
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp of garlic
- 2 cups of a colorful bell pepper
- 2 cups of pineapple
- 1/4 cup of ketchup
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of vinegar
- 2 tbsp of plum sauce optional
- 1 tbsp of corn starch
- 3/4 tsp of salt or to taste
PREPPING THE PORK:
FOR STIR FRYING:
SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE:
Cut the pork into half inch cubes. Marinate it with 1 tbsp soy sauce, a 1/4 tsp of salt, and a 1/4 tsp of baking soda. Let it sit over night.
- Whisk 2 eggs, and have some plain flour ready.
- Dip the pork in the egg and then coat it with flour. Do this process twice so the flour layer is thicker. - Heat the oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit [ 176 degrees Celsius]. Deep fry your pork twice. By frying it twice, the crispy layer will last longer, especially when you coat it with the sauce.
- Set it aside. Let’s make the sweet and sour sauce: 1/4 cup of ketchup, 1/4 cup of vinegar, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of water, 2 tbsp of plum sauce, 1 tbsp of corn starch and 3/4 tsp of salt (or to taste).
- Cook it on medium heat. Keep stirring it in case it sticks to the bottom. Once it is bubbling, turn the heat to low, just let it cook until it feels sticky but still flowing easily.
- Now, let’s stir fry all the vegetables. Heat up your wok.Add in 1 tbsp of oil, put in 1 tbsp of garlic, let it become fragrant.
- Add in the colorful bell peppers and pineapple. Stir it for around 3 minutes and then add in the pork and sauce. Coat it nicely.
- You are done. You can serve this with rice.