Chicken Wonton Soup
- 10 ounces of chicken breast
- 3 ounces of minced mushrooms
- 2 ounces of minced dried shrimp
- 2 ounces of minced water chestnut
- 1 tbsp of Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of minced garlic
- 1 tbsp of cornstarch
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp of chicken powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- Wonton skins
- 1.5 cups of chicken stock
- Some lettuce
- 2 tsp of fried garlic
- 2 tsp of hot chili oil
- Cilantro for garnish
FOR THE WONTON SOUP:
10 ounces of chicken breast, grind it.
- Soak some mushroom and dried shrimp until soft.
- Mince the shrimp, mushroom, and garlic then stir fry it with 1 tsp of oil to wake up the flavor. Take it out and add it to the filling bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in which are minced water chestnut, 1 tbsp of Chinese cooking wine, 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tbsp of minced garlic, 1 tbsp of cornstarch, 1 large egg white, 1 tsp of sesame oil, and 1/2 tsp of salt or to taste.
- You can cook a small amount of the filling in the microwave to see if you need to adjust the flavor. One thing you should know is that when you make soup wonton, you want the filling to be a little bit saltier than what you normally like because once you boil it, the broth will get inside and reduce some of the sodium.
- Have the wonton wrapper ready and start to make the wonton.
- Put about 1.5 tsp of filling in the middle. Gather the edge and pinch it together. With this recipe, you should be able to make about 30-40 wontons.
- Boil the wonton. Put your wontons in boiling water. It will drop down the temperature a little bit. Wait until it comes back to a boil then you add in 1/2 cup of cold water to drop down the temp again. By adding cold water, you can make sure the filling is fully cooked and the skins will be perfect. As it comes back to a boil, the wontons should float to the top.
- Take your wonton out and put it in a bowl with 1.5 cups of chicken broth. Because the broth I use is flavored, I don’t need extra seasoning. But I do like to add a few thing to make it even better - 2 tbsp of fried garlic, this smells incredible, full of garlic flavor, a bit of crunchy. After that, I will spice it up with 2 tsp of hot chili oil. Last, add some lettuce and cilantro for garnish.