Seared Scallops with Rice Noodles in Garlic Sauce
- 340 grams of scallops 10-12 pieces
- 1/3 tsp of salt
- 1/3 tsp of black pepper
- 150 grams of dried rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 tbsp of cooking oil
- 3 tbsp of butter
- 1/4 cup of finely diced garlic
- 2-3 pieces of Thai bird eye chilies finely diced, optional
- 1 tbsp of fish sauce
- 1 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2-3 tbsp of diced cilantro
- 1/2 tbsp of XO sauce
Marinade the scallops with salt and pepper. Set it aside.
- Bring a pot of water and boil the rice noodles for 2-5 minutes depending on the thickness. Do not cook it all the way through because we will cook it further later. Remove the noodles from the water and set them aside.
- Turn the heat to high and heat a frying pan until smoking hot. Add oil, and swirl it around so it covers the bottom. Sear the scallops on high heat for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. My scallop was the jumbo size, you may need to adjust the searing time based on the size of your scallop.
- Turn off the heat. Remove the scallops from the pan.
- Let the pan cool for a minute then add 3 tbsp of butter along with 1/2 of the diced garlic. Stir over medium-low heat for a few minutes or until the garlic is lightly golden.
- Quickly add the rest of the diced garlic and the diced Thai bird eye chilies. Give it a quick stir.
- Add the cooked rice noodles along with 1/4 cup of water. Season it with 1 tbsp of fish sauce, 1 tbsp of oyster sauce. Use a pair of tongs to fluff the noodles for a couple of minutes or until the noodles are fully cooked through.
- Turn off the heat. Add diced cilantro and mix well.
- Serve the seared scallops on top of the noodles. Optionally, garnish the scallops with a touch of XO sauce.