Taro Root Cake
- 800 grams of taro
- 3 pieces of Chinese sausage la chang
- 80 grams of Chinese bacon la rou
- 50 grams of dry shrimps
- 8 pieces of dried mushroom
- 3 ounces of onion
- 2 tbsp of minced garlic
- 3 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of five spice
- 500 ml of water soaked the shrimp and mushroom with
- 400 grams of rice flour
- 1000 ml of water
- 1 tsp of salt
FOR RICE FLOUR MIXTURE:
Soak some dried mushrooms and shrimps with 500 ml of water until soft. Then strain them.Don’t throw out the water, we need that to cook the taro.
- Peel the taro and cut it into half centimeter cubes.
- Cut all the meat into small size.
- Cut the mushroom into the same size too.
- Have 3 ounces onion and 2 tbsp of minced garlic ready.
MAKE THE FLOUR MIXTURE:
Mix 400 grams of rice flour with a tsp of salt. Pour in 1 liter of water. Combine well and set it aside.
Heat up the wok a little bit. Add 3 tbsp of vegetable oil. Then add in the garlic and stir it until fragrant.
- Throw in all the ingredients we prepared. Cook it for 3 minutes on medium heat. Taste it and decided if you need more salt.
- Take it out and set it aside.
- Directly add in all the taro into the wok along with 1 tbsp of sugar, 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tsp of five spice and 1 tsp of salt.
- Give it a mix and pour in the water that you soaked the shrimps and mushroom with.
- Turn the heat to high, let it cook until the water is gone. It will take about 5 minutes.
STEAM AND FRY:
Put it in a big bowl. Add in all the ingredients we prepared and the flour mixture. Combine well. The last step is to steam it.
- Put parchment paper into a container so the taro cake will be easier to take out later. Add the mixture into the container.
- Bring the water to a boil and steam it on high heat for 30 minutes.
- You can use a chopstick to check. If it is transparent, that means it is done.
- Let it cool down to room temperature. Cut it into the size you like!
- Fry it for few minutes so you can get a nice, crispy layer. Tastes so good.
We usually dip this with hot sauce or XO sauce. But trust me, this is so delicious that you don’t need a dipping sauce. You can serve this as a nice appetizer or eat it as breakfast, this is enough for 3-5 people.