Hot and Sour Soup
- 2 pieces of dried shitake mushroom
- Few pieces of dried black fungus
- 3.5 ounces of shredded pork marinate with 2 tsp of soy sauce +2 tsp of cornstarch
- 5 ounces of silken or soft tofu cut it into thin shreds
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1/3 cups of shredded carrot
- 1/2 tbsp of minced ginger
- 2 tbsp of cornstarch
- 2 tbsp of water
- 1.5 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of Salt or to taste
- 2-3 tsp of white peppercorn
- 3 tbsp of Chinese black vinegar
- 1.5 tsp of sesame oil
- Cilantro and spring onion for garnish
Seasonings to add early
To add before turning off the heat
To add before serving
Soak the dried shitake mushrooms and black fungus for 4 hours until they are completely re-hydrated. Slice them thinly.
- Cut 3.5 ounces of pork into thin shreds. Marinade with 2 tsp of soy sauce and 2 tsp of cornstarch. Let that sit for about 15 minutes.
- Cut 5 ounces of silken or soft tofu into thin shreds.
- Beat 2 eggs.
- Cut some carrot into thin shreds.
- Mince 1/2 tbsp of ginger.
- In a small sauce bowl, combine 2 tbsp of cornstarch +2 tbsp of water together. Mix it until you don’t see any lumps then add 1.5 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tsp of dark soy sauce, 1 tsp of sugar, 1 tsp of Salt or to taste. Mix until everything is well combined. These are the Seasoning that you need to add to the soup earlier.
- In another sauce bowl combine 1 tbsp of freshly ground white pepper and 3 tbsp of Chinese black vinegar. Mix it until the pepper is fully distributed. These 2 ingredients you need to add to the soup right before turning off the heat.
- It is very important to follow the order. That is why made 2 different bowls of seasoning so I don’t get confused.
- In a wok, add 1/2 tbsp of minced ginger, the re-hydrated mushroom and black fungus, the shredded carrot, and 3.5 cups of stock. Give it a stir.
- Cover it and bring it to a boil. Add the pork. Stir it around so the meat doesn’t stick together. Give it about 10 seconds or so. The meat should changed color. Then you add the tofu. Use a wooden spoon, gently stir it and try not to break the tofu.
- Cover it and wait for it to come back to a boil. Pour in the sauce. Whisk the soup while adding the sauce. Stir in the beaten egg.
- Cook this whole pot for another 30 seconds so all the ingredients can come together.
- Add the other bowl of seasoning - white pepper and vinegar. They are the types of ingredient that the flavor will fade way if cook long time. That is why we add it 10 seconds before you turn off the heat.
- Before you serve, add a bunch of scallion and cilantro for garnish. Top 1.5 tsp of sesame oil for the nutty taste. And you are done.