Chinese Chicken Fried Rice Recipe (鸡肉炒饭)
- 280 grams of chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of paprika
- 1/3 tsp of sugar
- A few shakes of garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp of Chinese cooking wine
- white pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil to pan fry the chicken
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 1 tsp of dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp of sesame oil
- 500 grams of cooked rice
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tsp of Ginger
- 1 tbsp of garlic
- 1/4 cup of scallion
- 5 oz of frozen vegetable mix
- Toasted sesame seeds to taste
To marinade and cook the chicken breast
For the sauce
The rest of the ingredients for the fried rice
Butterfly the chicken breast into 2 halves. You can switch the chicken to other kind of protein; I have tried pork chops, shrimp and tilapia fillet. They work really well.
- Season the chicken with salt, paprika, sugar, garlic powder, soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, and some white pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly and set it aside for 15 minutes.
- In a sauce bowl, combine all the ingredients and set it aside.
- Preheat your wok and add a tbsp of vegetable oil. Pan fry the chicken breast over medium heat for a few minutes each side to get it golden brown. Remove the chicken from the wok and roughly dice into cubes.
- Clean the wok and heat it up again. Add 1.5 tbsp of oil then pour in 2 beaten eggs. Stir until the egg sets. Cut the egg into big chunks by using your spatula. Remove the egg from the wok. We will add it back to the fried rice at the end so it doesn’t get seasoned by the dark soy sauce; this way, the egg can keep the golden color.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil to the same wok. Toss in the garlic, ginger, and frozen vegetable mix. Stir over medium heat for a couple of minutes. Turn the heat to the highest and add 2.5 cups of cooked rice. Continue to stir for a couple of minutes.
- Drizzle in the sauce and mix until the flavor is well combined. Introduce the chicken and the egg back into the wok. Add 1/4 cup of diced green onion and sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds. Give it a final toss and enjoy!