Easy Wonton Soup Recipe (快手馄饨)
- 6 cups of unsalted chicken broth or water
- 10 oz of peeled and seeded kabocha squash
- 3 tbsp of water of water
- 1 cup of crushed ice
- 3 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 3 scallions cut into 2 inches
- 4 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 1/2 inch of ginger thinly sliced
- 1.5 tsp of salt or to taste
- bok choy as needed
- 1 pack of wonton wrapper 50 sheets, defrosted in advance
- 1/2 lb 227 grams of ground pork
- 1/2 lb 227 grams of peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/4 cup of Cilantro
- 1/4 cup of Scallion
- 1.5 tbsp of finely minced garlic
- 2 tsp of finely minced ginger
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1.5 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp of sugar
- 1/2 tsp of five spice powder
- 3 tbsp of water or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp of sesame oil
Carbon Steel Wok
Stainless Steel Pot Set
For the Broth
To Make the Wontons
Cut the kabocha squash into into 1 cm thick pieces. Transfer it into a glass bowl along with a few tbsp of water to help to create some steam. Cover with a ceramic plate. Microwave it for 5 minutes.
- While waiting, you should have just enough time to put all the filling ingredients into a food processor (ground pork, peeled shrimp, scallion, cilantro, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, five spice powder, sesame oil, and water)
- Use the on and off mode to blend everything for just 40 seconds. Give it a few stirs to incorporate the uneven bits that were stuck on the edge and your filling is done. Just leave it in the food processor. No need to transfer it into a different bowl unless you like to wash more dishes.
- Take the squash our of the microwave and add 1 cup of crushed ice to cool it down. Then transfer it into a small blender and blend until smooth. Set it aside.
- Add in 3 tbsps. of vegetable oil into your wok along with the scallions stalks, garlic slices, and ginger slices. Stir over medium heat for a minute or until fragrant. Store-bought stock usually doesn’t smell as fragrant because they have been sitting on the shelf for a long time. Adding aromatics is an easy way to upgrade it.
- Pour in the squash puree and stir for a minute. Then add 6 cups of store bought chicken stock and mix well. You can also do beef or vegetable stock. Squash contains a little bit of starch so it makes the soup smooth, creamy as well.
- It would take about 5 minutes over medium heat for this to come to a boil. Meanwhile, you can wrap the wonton by using the fast folding method: Use a pair of chopsticks to grab about 1/2 tbsp of filling. Put it in the wrapper with the meat side down and fold it over. Give it a solid squeeze and pull it out. This folding method does not require any practice. Your wonton may not come out the same size, which doesn’t matter at all because wonton is not supposed to be so precised and it it does not need to be sealed completely.
- When the broth comes to a boil, season it with some salt. Throw in however many wontons you want cook for 4-5 minutes over medium heat. Optionally, add some baby Bok choy to balance the meal.