Garlic Stir Fry Bitter Melon (蒜蓉炒苦瓜)
Today, we are going to make something special - bitter melon. Have you ever wondered what it is and how to cook it when you see it at the Asian grocery stores? So, I am going to share the easiest recipe that you can cook it - Stir Fry Bitter Melon With Garlic (蒜蓉炒苦瓜)
- 500 grams of bitter melon
- 1 tsp of salt to reduce the bitter taste
- 6-8 pieces of dried red chilies
3-4 pieces of fresh Thai bird eye chilies
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1-2 tbsp of cooking oil
- 1 tsp of Sichuan peppercorn
- Salt to taste
Cut the bitter melon in half, then quarter it. Remove the white spongy inside part. You can use a rounded teaspoon to scrape the last bits of the white part.
- Cut it with a 45-degree angle into 1/3 of an inch thick slices. Season it with 1 tsp of salt. Rub for a few minutes. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Cut some red, dried chilies open and remove the seeds.
- Roughly dice some fresh red chilies
- Press 5 cloves of garlic through a garlic presser.
- Optionally, prepare 1 tsp of sichuan peppercorns.
- Now go back and check out the bitter melon. Squeeze out as much moisture as you can.
- Rinse the bitter melon with cold running water several times. Drain it but doesn’t need to be thorough. A little bit of excess water will make sure the garlic doesn’t burn as fast when stir-frying.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of oil to the wok along with the Sichuan peppercorns. Turn the heat to low. As the temperature climbs up slowly, the oil will be seasoned with the peppercorn flavor.
- Once you see the color of the peppercorns is getting dark, you can take them out and discard them. Turn the heat to medium. Add in the bitter melon, dried chili, fresh chili, and garlic. Stir for a couple of minutes.
- Give it a taste and then add the salt to adjust the flavor. Be generous with the salt amount especially if you have never tried bitter melon before because the salt will suppress a little bit of the bitter taste. Give it a final stir and you are done.
- If you want to watch the video, please click this link - https://youtu.be/N4XB-3O7UTk