Pineapple Rice Recipe – Similar to Mango Sticky Rice (傣味菠萝饭)
- 270 g 1 cup + 1/4 cup of glutenous rice (soak with water for 2 hours)
- 270 g 1 cup + 2 tbsp of water to cook the rice
- 1 pineapple 1/3 of it cut into chunks, 2/3 of it blend into juice
- 3-5 tbsp of sugar depends on your taste
- 1/2 tsp of salt or to taste
- 1/3 cup of berry blend
Rub the grains with clean water to remove the excess starch. Do this several times until the water becomes clear. Soak the rice for 2 hours.
- If you have the patience, carve out a pineapple bowl. It is for the presentation purpose.
- Save 1/3 of the pineapple pieces for later. Blend 2/3 of it. You should get about 1 cup of juice. Add some sugar to the juice. Stir and set it aside.
- Drain the glutinous rice. Add the rice to a small pot along with 1 cup + 1/4 cup of water. Turn the heat to high. Bring the pot to a boil. Don’t go away, because it will take just a minute or 2 for it to come to a boil. Then turn the heat to the lowest possible. Let it cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked. Put it in a big mixing bowl along with the pineapple juice, pineapple pieces, 1/3 cup of raisins and berry mix, and some salt to taste. Stir until everything is well combined. Give it a taste to adjust the flavor. Add everything into the pineapple bowl. The amount I gave should be just enough to fill it up.
- Top some pineapple pieces and some berries to make it prettier. If you don't want to do any more work, you can just serve like this. But I like to steam it for 25 minutes. It helps to bind all flavor together and makes the rice stickier and softer.