Shrimp Fried Rice
- 6 ounces of peeled shrimp
- 6 ounces of vegetable -mix I used carrot, green peas, onion
- Few cloves of minced garlic
- 2.5 cups of cooked rice
- 1 egg
- oil to stir-fry
- Ingredients for the Seasoning
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 1 tsp of dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp of sugar optional, depends on your taste
- 1/4 tsp of salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- Juice from 1/4 of a small lime Add at the end
Combine 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 1/2 tbsp of oyster sauce and some dark soy sauce together. These 3 ingredients can be the base of most Chinese fried rice. They make great flavors.
- You want to use a big wok to make fried rice because there should be enough room to stir fry. If you don’t have a wok, you can use a large sauté pan or fry everything in batches.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil to the wok. Give it a toss and wait until the wok gets hot. Then add some vegetables (carrot, green peas, diced onion, few cloves of minced garlic). Stir them until you think it is ready. It will likely take about 4 or 5 minutes on medium-high heat. I usually just try a piece of carrot and see if it is ok because it takes longer to cook then other vegetables. Then you push everything to the side
- Add in a beaten egg. Wait until it is formed. Use your spatula to break it into small pieces. Mix the veggies and the egg together. Then push everything to the side as well so we have room for the shrimp.
- Add a little more oil to the wok because the egg normally will absorb all the oil. Before the heat was medium-high, now you want to turn the heat to maximum. Fry each side of the shrimp for less than a minute. It should just turn to pink. You don’t want to cook the shrimp through because we will take it out and mix it with the rice later. Mix everything together. Add some salt to taste because if you add the salt later, the rice tends to absorb most of the sodium and the vegetable will taste a bit plain. Take it out and set it aside.
- In the same wok, add about 1.5 tbsp of oil. The key to perfect fried rice is the rice. Day old rice will be good for this recipe. As you can see, every piece of grain is individual. It is so fluffy. By the way, I always cook the rice and other ingredients separately because we like to stir the rice for quite a long time to let the rice gets enough wok heat and will be fluffier. Normally I will stir the rice for about 6 minutes, but it depends on the heat. So when you see the rice is jumping and dancing in the wok. Also, you should be able to smell the rice fragrance that means it is the time to add the shrimp and the vegetable back to the wok. Add the seasoning as well. Keep mixing until all the rice changes the color. Give it a try to adjust the flavor. You might need some sugar or salt. It is up to your taste. Add some diced scallion, some black pepper to taste. Mix everything together. I like to squeeze some line juice in it. It will bring some freshness to the fried rice and it goes perfectly with the shrimp. Toss everything together and you are done.