Steamed Rice Noodles
- 2.8 ounces [80 grams] of rice flour [粘米粉]
- 2.5 ounces [70 grams] of wheat starch [澄粉]
- 1.5 tbsp [8 grams] of potato starch [土豆淀粉]
- 1.5 tbsp [8 grams] of cornstarch [玉米淀粉]
- 14 ounces [400ml] of water
- Ground beef
- 2 eggs
- minced carrot
- some lettuce
- diced cilantro
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 4 slices of ginger
- 3 small shallots
- 7 ounces [200ml] of chicken stock or water
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of fish sauce
- 1 tsp of dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp of oyster sauce
- 2 tsp of cornstarch + 2 tsp of water
FOR THE FILLING (many options below):
FOR THE GRAVY:
Mix the flour ingredients (2.8 ounces of rice flour, 2.5 ounces of wheat starch, 1.5 tbsp of potato starch, 1.5 tbsp of corn starc with 14 ounces of water
- Prepare the fillings. I am using 2 eggs, shredded carrot, lettuce, cilantro, some ground beef. You can use anything you want like pork, chicken, sausage.
- Get a flat trail or pan. Brush some oil on the surface to prevent sticking.
- And some flour mixture into the pan. The amount depends on how big the pan is.
- Then sprinkle the topping ingredients (Carrot, lettuce, Cilantro, beef, a little bit egg). Don’t put too many toppings, or else the rice noodle roll will be to thick.
- Spread it with a spoon, make sure it covers the bottom of the pan evenly. Then you are ready to steam.
- Put it in boiling water. Steam it for 3 minutes. When you open the cover, there should be a lot of big bubbles under the thin layer of noodle - my camera cannot catch that well but you should see it if you make your own. And those bubbles tell you that it is ready, you can take it out.
- Roll it into noodle roll. Now that you are done with 1 piece of Chang fen and you just finish the rest. If you have 2 trails in hand, that will be much easier. You can prepare the second one while the first one is steaming.
- Rice noodle roll usually served with gravy. Let’s me show you how to make that.
- In a small saucepan, add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil, 3 cloves of minced garlic, some ginger strips, and some minced shallot. Give it a stir, let it become fragrant.
- Pour in 7 ounces of chicken stock. Then add in all the seasoning (1 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tsp of fish sauce, 1 tsp of dark soy sauce, 1 tsp of oyster sauce). Mix it a little bit, bring this to a boil.
- Now let’s quickly make a slurry. 2 tsp of cornstarch, 2 tsp of water. Mix it up. Pour it into the saucepan. Keep mixing it. After 1 minute, the sauce should be slightly thick.
- The sauce will taste pretty salty and intense on itself which is what we need because we didn’t add any seasoning to the flour mixture.
- Pour the gravy on top of the rice noodle roll. You are ready to eat.
INGREDIENT OPTIONS FOR THE FILLING:
Beef / pork / chicken / fish slices Shrimp / sausage / char siu / egg / tofu Cilantro / lettuce / carrot / cabbage / scallion