Black Fungus Salad
- 30 grams of dried fungus
- 4 ounces of cucumber cubes
- A hand full cilantro
- 1 hot chili for garnish
- 1/2 tbsp homemade Sichuan chili sauce can also use fresh chopped chili and minced garlic
- 3 tbsp of soy sauce
- 2 tbsp of Chinese black vinegar
- 2 tsp of sugar
- 2 tsp of sesame oil
- 1 tsp of ground ginger
- 2 tsp of Sichuan peppercorn powder
FOR THE SAUCE:
First, you need to soak the dried black fungus for 1 hour. We only need 30 grams of it. Because once you soak them in the water, they go crazy. Became so much bigger.
- The fungus I used is the small type call cloud ear. If you are using bigger ones, you need to rip them into three-quarter inch pieces.
- Boil it for 3 minutes. While waiting, have some ice water ready.
- Take it out and Put the fungus into the ice water
- Let is sit for 5 minutes.
- 5 minutes later. Drain it and then dry it up.
How to make the sauce:
1/2 tbsp of homemade sichuan chili sauce. If you don’t have it, you can also use freshly chopped hot chili and minced garlic
- Add 3 tbsp of soy sauce, 2 tbsp Chinese black vinegar, 2 tsp of sugar, drizzle in 2 tsp of sesame oil, 1 tsp of freshly ground ginger 2 tsp of Sichuan peppercorn powder.
- If you don’t have peppercorn powder. Yes, you can skip it. But if you do a chance to buy this, strongly suggest you try it.
- Now all you need to do is mix everything together. The fungus, the cucumber, some cilantro and the sauce.
- One important this is to taste and adjust it. You probably need some salt or if it is too salty, you may want to add more sugar and some water to balance it out.
- There you go, your black fungus salad is done.
It is sichuan style cold dish. So obviously, it is spicy. Also, it has pretty strong sour and salty flavor, Which are balanced by the fungus and cucumber. This dish usually served as an appetizer. It will be gone in 1 minute. Seriously, this is very popular in many restaurants in China. It is simple to make and taste delicious.