Cabbage Stir Fry Noodles (包菜炒粉条)
Despite the simple ingredients, stir fry cabbage vermicelli noodle is surprisingly delicious. This is my favorite noodle dish, no one of because I am a huge fan of vermicelli noodles. They have such amazing texture and taste. This recipe is quick, easy, and full of flavors. There is no excuse not to give it a try.
- 280 grams (10 oz) of cabbage, julienned
- 200 grams (7 oz) of vermicelli noodles, soak in hot water for 15 minutes
2 tbsp of dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp of oil to coat the noodles
- 170 grams (6 oz) of skinless pork belly, cut into strips
- 1-2 tbsp of oil to stir fry
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly
- 1/2 inch of ginger, sliced thinly
- 2 scallions, dice the white part and cut the green part into 1 inch long stalks
- 2 tbsp of red dried chilies, cut into short pieces, optional
- 4-5 pieces of Thai bird eye chilies, roughly diced, optional
2 tbsp of Sichuan Dou Ban Jiang, if you don't eat spicy food, use soybean paste
1.5 tbsp of soy sauce
- Soak the vermicelli noodles in 2 liters of hot water for 15 minutes.
- While waiting, julienne the cabbage; slice the garlic and ginger thinly; separate the white and green parts of the scallions; dice the white part of and cut the green part into 1-inch-long stalks; Julienne the pork belly into strips. You can use thick cuts of bacon for more flavors or skip the meat if you are vegan.
- Optionally, cut the red dried chilies into short pieces and dice the Thai bird eye chilies.
- Drain the noodles thoroughly and season them with dark soy sauce to get the desired brown color. Coat the noodles with vegetable oil to prevent sticking.
- Turn the heat to high and heat the wok until smoking hot. Add oil and switch the heat to low. Saute the pork belly until golden brown, and a few tbsp of pork fat is rendered.
- Add garlic, ginger, the white part of the scallions, red dried chilies, Thai bird eye chilies, and 2 tbsp of Dou Ban Jiang, and stir over low heat until the oil turns red. If you don't eat spicy food, replace the dou ban jiang with soybean paste.
- Add the cabbage and stir over medium heat until the cabbage is welted.
- Add the noodles along with 1.5 tbsp of soy sauce. Keep mixing over high heat for a few more minutes.
- Before serving, toss in the green parts of the scallion and mix well.