Ginger Candy Soft Chews
First, let’s deal with the ginger. Rinse it under running water. Make sure you wash off the mud. You don’t need to peel the skin because it doesn’t matter if the skin on or not. You can peel it if you want but its just more work to me.
- Roughly cut it into slices. Put it in a cup. I didn’t add any water to it so it will be a bit difficult to use a blender. That is why I am going to use a hand blender. You can also use a food processor to blend it.
- Use a sieve and put a cheesecloth to cover it. Squeeze the juice out of the ginger. Make sure you get the last drip. For 180 grams of ginger, we get about a little bit more than a 1/2 cup of 100% pure ginger juice.
- Pour the ginger juice into the glutinous rice flour. Use a fork to cooperate with it. It will look a bit messy in the beginning. But soon you should be able to make it into a dough. Cover it and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- While waiting, we can move on to next step. In a sauce pot, add 150 grams of brown sugar and 30 grams of water. Stir this on low heat. Adding water will thin the sugar a little bit and lower the chance of burning. You just keep stirring it so it doesn’t stick to the bottom. Once you see it start bubbling a lot. Let it cook for another 40 seconds and then turn off the heat. Let it cool down for just 5 minutes. You don’t want it to be completely cold or else the sugar will start setting.
- Pour the melted brown sugar into the glutinous rice dough. It might look like it is impossible to mix it well. Don’t worry. You just use a fork to break the dough into smaller pieces. Then use a whisk to stir it. Within 2 or 3 minutes, it will be completely well combined.
- Next, get a flat pan. I use an 8 inches non-stick cake pan. If your pan is not non-stick, make sure to apply some oil or put a parchment paper on the bottom so it will be easier to take out later. For better texture, I will let it go through a sieve. Just pour that in. a very important note here. Make sure your pan is flat and the batter is about 1/3 inch thick. If it is too thick or the batter is no evenly flat, it won’t be cooked completely.
- Put this in a steamer. Steam it for 40 minutes.
- This is how I check if it is completely cooked. Put a stick into a check the consistency. If you see the batter that attached to the stick is a little bit transparent, that means you are good to go.
- Take it out. Cover it and set it in the fridge overnight.
- This is the next day. Because it is a non-stick pan so it should be easy to take it out. Then cut it into long strips. You can wet the knife with cold water so it doesn’t stick to the knife. Sprinkle some shredded coconut so it won’t be too sticky. Then coat it with the coconut completely. You can also use sugar powder if you have it. Once all the sugar strips are coated well, pile them up and cut it into short pieces. Put this into the shredded coconut. If you see 2 pieces sticking together, just break that apart. Toss everything until they are coated well and you are done.