Golden Pumpkin Soup with Shrimp and Tofu (金汤虾仁豆腐羹 - 金玉满堂)
The tofu and shrimp are tender and flavorful. The golden pumpkin soup is creamy, comforting, and glowing with enthusiasm. This is such a perfect winter recipe.
- 200 grams of peeled and divined shrimp
- 1/3 tsp of salt
2 tsp of cornstarch
2 tsp of Chinese cooking wine
some black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp of oil to sear the shrimp
- 1/2 lb of peeled and seeded kabocha squash or any other pumpkin that is good for making pie
- 2 tbsp of water to microwave the squash
- 1/2 cup of crushed ice to cool it down
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 3 scallions, cut into 2 inches
- 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 inch of ginger, thinly sliced
2 cups of unsalted chicken broth or water
1/2 tbsp of cornstarch
- 1/2 tbsp of water to make
- 1 tsp of salt or to taste
- 1 pack (1 lb) of tofu
To Season and Cook the Shrimp
The Rest of the Ingredients For the Soup
- Marinate the shrimp with salt, cornstarch, Chinese cooking wine, and some black pepper to taste. Set it aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, seed and peel the kabocha squash, then cut it into bit size pieces. You can use other kinds of squash as long as it is good for making pumpkin pie.
- Add the squash and 2 tbsp of water to a microwave-safe bowl and cover with a lid. Microwave it on full power for 7 minutes or until tender.
- Take the squash out and add 1/2 cup of crushed ice to cool it down faster. Blend the squash with the ice into a puree. Set it aside.
- Cut the tofu into 1/2 inch cubes and blanch it in boiling water for a few minutes to remove the beany taste. Then, remove the tofu from the water and set it aside.
- Heat the wok until smoking hot. Add oil and sear the shrimp over high heat for 2 minutes or until it turns pink. Remove the shrimp from the wok but leave the oil behind.
- Add scallion stalks, ginger, and garlic slices to the same wok, and stir for 30 seconds. Pour the pumpkin puree and 2 cups of chicken stock, then bring it to a simmer.
- Mix 1/2 tbsp of cornstarch with 1/2 tbsp of water and add it to the wok to thicken the soup.
- Introduce the shrimp and tofu into the wok and simmer for a couple of minutes. Last, add some salt to taste.