MUST TRY BLT WRAP – Egg Stuffed Pita (鸡蛋灌饼)
- 350 grams of all-purpose flour
- 190 grams of water
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 5 tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 2-3 tbsp of oil
- 1/2 tsp of 5 spice powder
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup of diced scallion
- Tomato slices
INGREDIENTS (makes 6 pancakes):
INGREDIENTS THAT WE USE TO ASSEMBLE THE BREAKFAST WRAP:
MAKE THE DOUGH
In a big mixing bowl, combine the following ingredients: 350 grams of all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp of salt, and 190 grams of water.
- If kneading by hand: Mix all the ingredients until combined. Leave to rest for 10 minutes. Then knead again to form a soft and smooth dough.
- If you have a stand mixer: Knead on low speed until a very smooth dough forms (8-10 minutes).
- Divide the dough into 6 even pieces. If you use a scale, each piece should be about 85 - 90 grams. Shape them into round, smooth balls. Cover the dough and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
MAKE THE YOU SU
Heat 2-3 tbsp of oil in a saucepot until it is slightly smoking. In a heatproof bowl, add 5 tbsp of all-purpose flour and 1/2 tsp of five-spice powder. Pour the hot oil into the flour in batches and stir to mix until it becomes a thick paste. Set it aside.
WRAP THE YOUSU
Take one piece of the dough and dust it with some flour to prevent stickiness. Use a rolling pin to roll it flat and get it into a round wrapper with a thick middle and a thinner edge. The diameter should be 4-5 inches.
- Take some of the Yousu and put it in the middle. Spread it out. Then, wrap it like the way how we make steamed buns - folding pleats all the way around, except this one, you don’t need to make it perfect. As long as you close the bun, you will be fine. Oh, try not to trap any air inside. Otherwise, it will be a bit difficult to roll it flat later. Shape it back into a round, smooth ball again.
- Once you are done with all of them, let them rest for 30 minutes. This relaxes the gluten, so the dough will be easier to roll out later.
MAKE THE STUFFED EGG PANCAKES
Roll the buns into 8-9 inches sheets. If you see any air bubbles while rolling the dough, do not break and eliminate them. Otherwise, the bread will not inflate later.
- Lightly drizzle some cooking oil in a big cast-iron skillet. Turn the heat to medium-low. Place the flatbread in. Let the first side cook. Once it becomes a bit translucent and there are some bubbles appearing in the middle layer of the bread, you can flip and cook the other side. In a minute or 2, the bread will start puffing up.
- Quickly crack one egg and add some diced scallion to it. Mix well. Some people also like to add a pinch of salt, but I think that makes my bread too salty, so I don’t add it.
- Once the bread is fully puffed up like a balloon, you can quickly poke a hole in the middle and pour in the egg mixture. It is best to use a cup with a pouring lip. If you spill some egg by accident, that is completely fine. You will not ruin anything.
- Move the bread around to even out the egg mixture. Continue to cook for a minute or two until the egg is set. Normally, I use one egg per bread but you can use more if you want.
- Take it out. Put it away. Do the same thing and finish the rest of the bread.
ASSEMBLE THE PANCAKES
The buns need 30 minutes to rest. While waiting, you can prepare some tomato slices, fresh lettuce. I also pan fry some sausage and bacon. These are classic configuration to go with this egg stuffed flatbread but you can use whatever you like.
Use the egg stuffed bread to wrap whatever ingredients you like (lettuce, sausage, tomato slices, bacon). For the sauce, I used mayonnaise and siracha, but you can use your favorite sauce. This wrapper will also be good with some grilled meat and hummus. You know, be creative, make it however you like.