HOW TO MAKE SCALLION PANCAKES:
Mix 10 ounces of all-purpose flour with 1 tsp of salt. Pour in 7 ounces of warm water in batches. In the same time use chopsticks stir it.
- Knead it for 5-8 minutes or until it becomes a soft dough. Feel free to use some dry flour so it will be easier to handle.
- Put this in a bowl which is brushed with some oil in advance. Turn the dough over a few times inside the bowl until the surface is coated lightly with the oil. Cover it with a plastic film. It needs to touch the dough directly. Push out all the air. Because we are going to let this sit in the fridge overnight. If you have a little bubble of air in it, then there will be a spot with a layer of dry skin tomorrow. Be careful with that.
- Let’s make the flour-oil. In a small sauce bowl, add 1.5 tbsp of all-purpose flour, 1 tsp of black pepper. Heat up 1/4 cup of vegetable and pour it in. Mix it up carefully. This just a basic oil. If you want to be creative, you can add some chili flakes, Sichuan peppercorn, or cumin.
- Shape it into an even long piece. Cut it into 6 even pieces. Each one should be about 3 ounces.
- Roll each piece into a thin sheet. Try to get it into a rectangle shape. But doesn’t have to be so perfect.
- Brush the thin sheet with some flour oil and sprinkle some scallion on it.
- Roll it from one side like this. Then roll it into a cake shape.
- Use your rolling pin to roll the cake into a round sheet. Once you get it about 7-8 inches across. You can start to pan fry it.
- Put some oil in the pan, just a little bit to cover the bottom. Put your scallion pancake in and fry it on medium heat. 3-5 minutes on each side or until it is golden brown. Do it one by one and you are done.
HOW TO SAVE IT:
Wrap it with plastic film before frying and put it in a sealable bag. It will last 30 days in the freezer. Whenever you want to eat them again. Take it out, don’t need to defrost. Just directly pan fry it. Now I am going to show you how to do this.