Instant Pot Rice (番茄焖饭)
Basic Chinese Ingredients
焖饭[mèn fàn] is a type of rice meal in which you cook the rice with abundant ingredients all at once. I call it the lazy recipe. Once you learn, it will change your life because it is easy to make; there are no limitations on the ingredients, and everybody loves it. I normally use an instant pot to make this recipe, but a rice cooker or a regular stock pot will also work.
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 1 shallot minced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 inch of ginger minced
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1.5 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 1.5 tbsp of dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 400 grams (2 cups) of rice rinsed and drained
- 360 grams (1.5 cups) of water (if use regular rice cooker, use 2 cups of water instead.)
- 300 grams of mixed vegetables (I used carrot, peas, and corns)
- 1 big tomato
- 100 grams of diced ham
- 100 grams of sausage slices
- 150 grams of marinade beef (Marinade with 1/8 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp of paprika, 1/4 tsp of garlic powder, black pepper tp taste, and 1 tsp of dark soy sauce.)
Press the saute button on the instant pot then add oil, minced garlic, ginger, and shallot. Stir for a few minutes or until fragrant. For the rice cooker, please choose a similar setting that allows you to saute the aromatics.
- Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, and dark soy sauce. Keep stirring until the sauce is bubbling.
- Add the rinsed and drained rice, 1.5 cups of water, and 1/2 tsp of salt, then mix well. The Instant Pot seals well, so you don’t need that much water, but if you are using a rice cooker or cooking this in a stock pot over the stove, please use 2 cups of water.
- Cut a cross on the tomato and put it in the middle of the instant pot. Put your favorite vegetables and protein around the tomato. I used carrots, peas, golden corns, sausage, diced ham, and marinaded beef.
- Close the instant pot lid. Put the valve in the sealing position. Press the rice button, and the rest is just waiting. If you are cooking this dish in a stock pot over the stove. You have to turn the heat to high and bring the pot to a simmer, then turn the heat to low and let it cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the tomato skin and mix everything thoroughly.