Chinese Sweet Pickled Garlic Recipe (腌糖蒜)
- 30 grams 2 tbsp of salt + 1.5 liter (6.5 cups) of water to soak the garlic for 24 hours
- 340 grams 12 oz of fresh garlic
- 142 grams 5 0z of vinegar
- 142 grams 5 oz of sugar
- 22 grams 1.5 tbsp of coarse sea salt (if you use fine table salt, you only need 1 tbsp + 1 tsp)
- 213 grams 7.5 oz of water
Remove the outer layers of the garlic until you can see the cloves.
- Dissolve 2 tbsp of salt into 1.5 liters of water. Soak the garlic in the salt solution for 24 hours. This will help to remove the sharp pungent flavor of the garlic.
- After soaking, drain the water. Rinse the garlic with clean water. Let it air dry overnight.
- Next, we will make a pickle brine. In a saucepot, add the sugar, salt and water. Bring this to a boil to dissolve the salt and sugar.
- Turn off the heat. Let it sit for at least 2 hours or until it cools down completely. Then add in 100grams of vinegar.
- Boil a jar for a few minutes to kill the bacteria. Put it in a 180 F oven for 15 minutes to dry it thoroughly.
- Take it out of the oven. Put the air-dried garlic into the jar along with the pickled brine that we made. Use a weight to press the garlic down, so they don’t float to the top.