Chicken and Broccoli
- 1 large piece of chicken breast about 11 ounces
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of water
- 2 tbsp of cornstarch
- 1/2 of egg white
- 2 tbsp of oil to stir-fry the chicken
- 2 cups of broccoli
- some carrot slices
- 2 tsp of cornstarch
- 1 tsp of grated ginger
- 1 tsp of grated garlic
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp of white pepper can also use black pepper
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock
The Chicken Marinade
For The Vegetables
For The Sauce
Cut the chicken breast into thin slices.
- Marinate the chicken with 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tbsp of water, 1/2 of egg white, 2 tbsp of cornstarch.
- Mix that up. After you make sure that every piece of chicken is coated nicely, you still want to keep massaging it for another 5 minutes until you can feel that the chicken has a velvety texture. Cornstarch and egg white will give a lot of moisture to the chicken and creates a starchy layer to lock the juiciness inside the meat. That is the key to a tender juicy meat.
- Let the chicken sit for about 20 minutes and we will make a sauce. In a small bowl, add 2 tsp of cornstarch, 1/2 tsp of white pepper (can also use black pepper), 2 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tbsp of oyster sauce, 1 tbsp of brown sugar, 1 tsp of grated ginger, 1 tsp of grated garlic, 1/2 cup of chicken stock, 1 tsp of dark soy sauce.
- Set the sauce aside and let’s prepare our vegetables.
- Cut the broccoli into bite size and have some thin slices of carrot ready.
- Next, we will toast the vegetable in a pan. Heat the pan really hot then you add your broccoli and the carrot as well. Turn the cut surface face to the pan and wait for it to change color. In about 2 minutes, you can give it a little peek. If you see the color is nice like this one, flip them over and sear the other side. What I am looking for is sort of roasted broccoli. Trust me, this is going to taste really good. Set the vegetable aside and move on to the chicken.
- Turn the gas to the maximum. Add about 2 tbsp of oil. Wait until the oil is hot then add your chicken, separate them. Make sure every piece of the chicken touches the bottom directly. Wait for 1 minute or 2 and you can check the color. If you see it is nice and brown on the bottom then flip all the chicken over. Fry the other side. When both sides have nice color, that is what we are looking for. You can add the broccoli back to the wok. Give that a toss then pour in that delicious sauce. Toss everything together and taste it to see if you need more salt.
- Check the consistency of the sauce. When you see every piece of chicken and broccoli is coated nicely and the sauce is slightly thick, you can take it out. This is a flavorful dish so it is good to just serve it with white rice.