Scallion Flavored Noodles
- 1.25 cup vegetable oil 240 grams
- 8-10 shallots 200 grams
- 20 -25 pieces scallion 180 grams
- 6 slices ginger
- 1 small piece cinnamon
- 2 pieces bay leaves
- 1 piece star anise
- 2/3 cup scallion oil 130 grams
- 1/2 cup soy sauce 136 grams
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce 140 grams
- 2.5 tbsp dark soy sauce 43 grams
- 2.5 tbsp sugar 33 grams (depends on your taste)
- 1 tbsp lard 13 grams (optional, can be replaced by butter)
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SCALLION OIL
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SAUCE (Enough to make 2 cups of sauce, serve 12-15 servings of noodles)
Cut 8-10 pieces of shallots into thin slices.
- Cut 20-25 pieces of scallions into 2 inches long pieces. Separate the white and green parts. Slice the white part lengthwise into strips because they are thick.
- Pour 1 cup + 1/4 cup of oil to the wok. Add the shallot along with 6 slices of ginger, 1 piece of star anise, 2 pieces of bay leaves, 1 small cinnamon stick. Turn the heat to medium - low. Fry them for about 10 minutes or until the shallots are slightly golden.
- Fish out the shallots and use paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Discard the spices and the ginger.
- Add the scallion into the oil. Fry it on medium low heat for 8-10 minutes. Take it out and use paper towels to absorb excess oil. Set it aside.
- You should have about 2/3 cup of oil in the wok. To that, add 1/2 cup of soy sauce, 1/2 cup of oyster sauce, 2.5 tbsp of sugar, 2.5 tbsp of dark soy sauce. Optionally, 1 tbsp of lard. If you don’t have pork lard, you can use a tbsp of butter. Heat it on low heat for 2 minutes and the sauce is done.
- Cook some noodles and season with this sauce. Top the fried shallot and scallion onto the noodles. Enjoy!