Squid Stir Fry
- 1 tsp of cornstarch
- 1 tbsp of Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 2 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp of water
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 1 tsp of dark soy sauce for the color
- 12 ounces of squid
- Few slices of ginger for blanching the squid
- 2 tbsp of oil to stir-fry
- Some ginger strips
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- Some white part of spring onion
- 1/2 of red bell pepper
- 1/2 of green bell pepper
For the sauce
For stir fry
Clean the squid and remove the skin.
- After that, use your knife to create some patterns on the squid so it will look better and be more tender. Make sure the inside part is facing up. Run your knife gentle and evenly but don’t cut off. Switch an angle, do the same thing again. Then cut the squid into small pieces.
- Also, cut the wings the same way and cut the tentacles into small pieces.
- Next, we will quickly blanch the squid. Prepare a pot of water. Add few slices of ginger. Bring the water to a boil. My rule for cooking squid is – eight it is less than 2 minutes or more than 2 hours. Anytime between that, it is going to be tough. So we will just put this in for only 10 seconds. This is just to remove the bad smell. Then quickly take it out. Rinse the squid under cold water and drain it completely.
- Now let’s make the sauce (1 tsp of cornstarch, 1 tbsp of Chinese cooking wine, 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 2 tbsp of oyster sauce, 1 tbsp of water, 1 tsp of sugar, 1 tsp of black pepper, 1 tsp of dark soy sauce)
- Mix that up and the sauce is done. Let’s start cooking.
- Turn the heat to high, add 2 tbsp of oil. Wait for the wok to get hot. Add some ginger strips, garlic, white part of spring onion. Stir this until fragrant.
- Add the bell pepper. Stir them for about 3 minutes or whenever you think the pepper is ready.
- Add in the squid. Remember I said, we need to cook the squid less than 2 minutes. We already blanch the squid for 10 seconds, now you only got 1 minute and 50 seconds left. Make sure you use the highest heat possible. This is the key to Chinese stir-fry dish. Everything needs to cook really fast in the wok. If you use low heat, it will take longer to cook and the food will starts producing water which you don’t want that.
- Add the sauce 20 seconds before you turn off the heat. Toss everything together. Count the time correctly and you can take it out. Serve it with white rice.